[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Server Install

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 19:29:04 BST 2010

Hey ladies & gents,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu Lucid Server onto a XEN HVM based
VPS and have come across a strange problem.

Using the Ubuntu 10.04 i386 DVD I highlighted 'install ubuntu in text
mode' and selected the 'install a server' option. I then went through
the installer selecting default options (except choosing a standard
partition layout instead of LVM) and finished up the installation by
leaving all of the server setup options like 'setup a LAMP server' etc
deselected  (thus leaving only a core system install on the VPS).

Upon logging into the newly installed system (and I've done this twice
now) I find that the server is running a generic rather than a server
kernel. Running sudo apt-get install linux-server and rebooting
doesn't seem to replace the kernel either.

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong? :-S

Thanks in advance,

Chris