[ubuntu-uk] Aptitude

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Mon Jun 7 13:22:26 BST 2010

On 7 June 2010 08:51, Neil Perry <nperry at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I've just been pointed out, that for Maverick they have removed aptitude
> being install by default. I don't want to start another button debate.
>
> But how many of you using aptitude rather then apt-get?
>
> I've used aptitude since I started using ubuntu, seeing as I thought
> apt-get wasn't maintained any more.
>
> Neil Perry
>
> Hello Neil,
I used aptitude a little back in debian days, but still preferred dselect
and apt-get.  I never felt the need to use aptitude in Ubuntu as I either
script apt-get installs or use synaptic (especially when I am showing new
users how package management works).

I am looking forward to improvements in the Software Centre that will make
it as useful as synaptic then will hope to just use the software centre and
scripted apt-get installs.

Thank you.
--
John Stevenson