[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu 64-bit not recommended for daily use?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jun 1 09:39:48 BST 2010

Hi,

On 1 June 2010 09:33, Markie <mark.curtis.1970 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Does any one know why on the ubuntu site here
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
> They say 64-bit is not recommended for daily useage?

It's duff wording but I can see what it's trying to say. If you had 10
seconds to explain to someone the difference between 32-bit and
64-bit, and do they want/need it, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Whilst 64-bit might be fine for many people there are some that would
have issues with applications they want to run on top of it. For many
it will work fine, but for most people there's little or no advantage
to using 64-bit Linux over 32-bit.

> A bug has been entered in launchpad
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/585940

There's quite a few bugs filed against the new website and the people
behind it are working hard to fix all the issues. This is just one of
many.

> Any comments on why this was on the ubuntu page? Im concerned as Im using
> 64-bit now for the last few weeks previously I was using 32-bit

Why worry if it's working fine for you?

Cheers,
Al.