[ubuntu-uk] dual boot with 2 HDDs

Barry Titterton barry.titterton at mail.adsl4less.com
Tue Jul 27 13:21:52 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 17:55 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> When installing, it's dead easy. Choose custom disk partitioning, give
> about 10-20GB to the root partition (called "/") and the rest to
> /home, leaving about 2GB at the end for a swap partition.

Liam,

I didn't find it dead easy when I tried to install Lucid with a separate
Home directory on a spare desktop a few weeks back. When I got to the
manual install screen I was expecting something like the GParted
graphical interface but I found the screen that was I was presented with
rather confusing. None of the sites that I had Googled before hand
showed the actual install screen, nor explained what all of the options
meant. I chickened out and opted for the default, all-in-one
installation. Subsequent research suggests that I should have used the
live CD to run GParted and partition the disc before the installation.

Barry