[ubuntu-uk] Renaming The Home Folder

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 27 07:57:56 BST 2010

Hi Guys

Some advice please....

In order to minimise the differences between working at home and away, my desktop and laptop have very similar folder structures. This has proven to be a little counter-productive since, when I'm transferring files between them using Filezilla or Nautilus, it is easy to confuse which pane is displaying the laptop's contents and which the desktop's.

The logical solution would appear to be to rename the home folder on one of the machines so that the path is clearly distinguishable. However, I note that Nautilus has the "rename" option greyed out for the home folder. To me this suggests that renaming it might not be a good idea or, at least, needs to be done in conjunction with other actions.

My concern is that renaming the home folder will screw up the configuration of numerous applications. Is it best just to live with things as they are or is there a clean method of renaming the home folder?

Thanks

Nige