[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu 64 on basic laptop

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 13:06:04 BST 2010

  On 24/07/2010 12:34, doug livesey wrote:
> Hi -- a local shop got sold a Dell with 1gig RAM running a 64 bit
> version of Windows a couple of weeks ago, and they are saying that it
> is running really slowly.
> As it's an independent shop I use lots & want to support (support your
> local bookshop!), I've offered to set it up as dual-boot with Ubuntu
> to see if they prefer that, and then to either return it to M$ or
> convert fully to Ubuntu depending on which they prefer.
> My question is, should I go with the 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu? The Ubuntu
> page recommends 32 bit for most users, and it's not a high-powered
> machine, but it is already running a 64 bit OS (albeit one that could
> be part of the problem -- I don't know enough about these things).
> Oh, and I've told them to have a think about everything they use it
> for, but from an initial conversation everything is easily do-able in
> Ubuntu, and, more importantly, easy for me to show them.
> Any & all advice appreciated,
>    Doug.

With only 1GB Ram I wouldn't say there is any benefit to running a
64-Bit OS, saying that I have 4GB Ram and still only run a 32-Bit OS.

I'd say it's probably slow running Windows because it only has 1GB Ram.
If it's Vista then it'll run like a dog with 1GB Ram (and not much
better with 2GB), and if it's Windows 7 it'll run better with 2GB.

I'd suggest sticking the 32-Bit version of Ubuntu on there.

Rob