[ubuntu-uk] Installing Ubuntu 64 on basic laptop

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 12:34:13 BST 2010

Hi -- a local shop got sold a Dell with 1gig RAM running a 64 bit version of
Windows a couple of weeks ago, and they are saying that it is running really
slowly.
As it's an independent shop I use lots & want to support (support your local
bookshop!), I've offered to set it up as dual-boot with Ubuntu to see if
they prefer that, and then to either return it to M$ or convert fully to
Ubuntu depending on which they prefer.
My question is, should I go with the 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu? The Ubuntu page
recommends 32 bit for most users, and it's not a high-powered machine, but
it is already running a 64 bit OS (albeit one that could be part of the
problem -- I don't know enough about these things).
Oh, and I've told them to have a think about everything they use it for, but
from an initial conversation everything is easily do-able in Ubuntu, and,
more importantly, easy for me to show them.
Any & all advice appreciated,
   Doug.