[ubuntu-uk] Distributed Backup Proposal

Jon Spriggs jon at spriggs.org.uk
Sat Jul 24 10:02:56 BST 2010

I agree, and they aren't exactly fast. Remember that most of us have an
upstream speed of less than 1Mb/s, so uploading data, either initially or at
recovery time (because, let's face it, if this is a backup, the moment you
realise you need your backup is 10 minutes before you realised you needed
your backup).

I think writing something that can provide a fully Free as in Freedom
replacement for something like Dropbox or Ubuntu One on a cheap webhost
(which ultimately means PHP/MySQL or PHP/File) using PGP/GPG encryption on
the files before upload would give us a much better starting point (and
potentially, given the right license - I'd suggest APGL, a marketable
product in the same way StatusNet has identi.ca and Status.net hosted
solutions)

This also would solve the "I need to backup my files" as ultimately, what I
need to backup is my photos, or my web portfolio, or my presentations.

I've written a few PHP scripts in the past, so I'd be happy to be involved
in writing some of the back-end, but the main place I have no clue about is
at the front end or a daemon service monitoring file changes and shipping
them off to the right destinations.

As I've been writing this, there's no reason why, if we write the components
as a FaiF solution, then aspects of the code can be modularized - the daemon
and front end can talk different back-end protocols, like to the PHP/MySQL
service I've suggested, over TOR to the PHP/MySQL service, to a Freenet
stored file or something new.

What do you think?
--
Jon "TheNiceGuy" Spriggs

On 24 Jul 2010 09:24, "Simon Greenwood" <sfgreenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

On 24 July 2010 09:04, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, ...
Examples of distributed storage exist all ready - The Freenet Project[1] has
been going for ten years and offers encrypted, distributed and
non-attributable storage. It was based partially on the old adage that the
Internet routes around problems, particularly in reference to regimes of
censorship and the bits stored on your machine are pieces of a file rather
than complete files, so you're not actually storing anything that can be
identified.

Simon

--
BBC 6 Music saved! http://www.love6music.com