[ubuntu-uk] Visual Effects are greyed out

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 19:22:35 BST 2010

On 22/07/10 15:32, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> I installed 10.04 Remix on my Laptop from a flash drive (because it's
> MUCH faster than using the CD) but if I right-click on the desktop,
> choose "Change Desktop background" and click on the Visual Effects tab,
> it's set to None and all the options are greyed out.
> I know that the graphics card is good because it runs Aero on (cough
> cough!) Windows 7....
> How do I enable this?

What graphics card is it?

You may find that if it's an ATI or NVidia card you may need a
proprietary driver (it should come up with an icon asking to install
restricted drivers, but I believe it can be found under System ->
Administration -> Hardware Drivers.

Otherwise it could be a card that doesn't have very good driver support
on Ubuntu (I'm sure I've read somewhere that some of the newer Intel
graphics chipsets are like this because they incorporate the PowerVR
graphics core).

Rob