[ubuntu-uk] Loss of scanner .....

ByteSoup bytesoup at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 13:22:17 BST 2010

On 21/07/10 11:47, Barry Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 00:59 +0100, John Stevenson wrote:
>

>> I believe there was a kernel update in the last week or three, perhaps
>> that was the source of your problem.  When doing an upgrade, have a
>> quick scan through the list of updates and if there is a kernel-image
>> listed, then get ready to reinstall your proprietary driver (you could
>> write a bash if the driver install is not already scripted).
>>
> Thanks - I never thought about the kernel.  It won't be CUPS as the
> printer still worked just fine and I didn't need to re-install the CUPS
> wrapper and driver, only the scanner driver and SANE wrapper.  I'll
> watch out for kernel updates in future and see if I can find the reason.
>
> Barry Drake.

Hi Barry, Just out of curiosity, I have Canon scanner and didnt even
need to install any drivers, I connected it via USB and used "simple
scan" which is installed by default under the Applications / Graphics
menu. Im not sure if this works for you, I guess you already tried it. I
didnt think that scanners would need much in the way of drivers

-Mark