[ubuntu-uk] Xorg problem using too much CPU

ByteSoup bytesoup at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 11:12:14 BST 2010

On 20/07/10 10:57, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     > I have a similar problem with 64-bit (both 9.10 and 10.04) on a Dell
>     > XPS M1330. Flash and java applications, primarily in web browsers,
>     > cause the CPU usage to spin up to 100%. It even started
>     happening with
>     > Thunderbird 3. My solution was to have Flash disabled by default to
>     > stop it happening, but that's difficult if you're developing
>     video apps.
>     >
>     > It's possible to recover by logging out of the desktop and
>     restarting
>     > Xorg from a terminal, and that's really as far as I got with
>     > diagnosing the problem, that it is an issue with Xorg and possibly
>     > with the Nvidia drivers. However, it did really render the system
>     > unusable so I've had to go back to my Mac to get work done. I
>     haven't
>     > raised a bug for it because, as you've found, it's very difficult to
>     > get any useful diagnosis.
>     >
>     > Simon
>
>     It seems like me and Simon are in the same boat. I need to run up a
>     32bit system on the same machine using an external HDD  to
>     compare. I do
>     think its something to do with flash, so although its not the
>     system as
>     such. I do think it shows up a flaw in the way it seems hard to corner
>     the problem and deal with it.
>
>     Ive tried the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE option as suggested by Alan and the
>     "sudo restart gdm" and some other combinations. I think they all
>     effectively restart the desktop. The problem is they dont seem to
>     release the CPU, the Xorg process seems to be very busy doing
>     something
>     so my conclusion is that there is another process running thats
>     causing
>     this and its grabbing hold of the Xorg when it comes up again.
>
>     Interestingly enough even when I drop out to a tty session
>     (CTRL+ALT+F1)
>     "top" shows load averages of 1.x and it doesnt really settle down to
>     below 0.5 even when nothing is showing running apart from  top
>     itself. I
>     know networking is probably still running though, but I cant make
>     sense
>     of this. I mean at the moment im using the desktop, typing this email
>     with Thunderbird open also I have firefox open with a number of
>     tabs and
>     my load averages are showing 0.54 0.41 0.26
>
>     It seems the problem does go away if I wait 10-15 mins before
>     restarting
>     gdm, but its far quicker to reboot. So is there a way to find out the
>     process tree of whats using Xorg if there is such a thing?
>

> That's exactly what I see. Does your machine have an Nvidia graphics
> card and do you use the proprietary drivers? If that's the case it is
> somewhere between the graphics drivers and Flash and how they're used

Hi Simon, sorry to sound a  bit dumb here, but im not sure if I have
Nvidia, my "lshw" shows "intel" for display, could this sitll be nvidia?
Its a Dell E6400

sudo lshw -C display

   *-display:0
        product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
        vendor: Intel Corporation
        physical id: 2
        bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
        version: 07
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
        resources: irq:30 memory:f6c00000-f6ffffff
memory:e0000000-efffffff(prefetchable) ioport:ef98(size=8)
   *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
        product: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
        vendor: Intel Corporation
        physical id: 2.1
        bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.1
        version: 07