[ubuntu-uk] PLN! (for improving support)

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 22:51:39 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 20:23 +0100, Matthew Daubney wrote:
<snip>
> The purpose of this is to get people who need help with _difficult_
> problems, which may not be easily solved by the groups general
> knowledge, in contact with the person who might be able to help. This
> does have a small time (and patience) commitment, but if you can help
> act as third (or even fourth) line support, for a few people who have
> difficult problems, or even mentor someone on an area (wireless, raid,
> mythtv, video, and so on) that can help.

As I said on IRC, count me in for Shotwell and everything Java related.

> I'm willing to throw resources and time at this (with a caveat, again
> related to my absence) in order to get those volunteers the resources
> they think they need. If you want to help, but think that the core team
> need a voice chat server, I can supply that (thanks popey and dutchie
> for helping me test that the other day). If you think we need some form
> of jabber network or somesuch, I can supply that.
>
> What would be even better is if those volunteers can make a lot of noise
> about any support they give. i.e. blog it, tweet it, make sure any
> relevant info on the wiki is upto date, liase with various teams to get
> bugs pushed and so on. Once whatever broke is fixed, it would be good to
> get it onto the web and up the google rankings if possible

Reminds me I've got a blog post on Shotwell I've been meaning to write
for several weeks and haven't got round to it yet :-)

> Now, I'd like to run a meeting in the second week of August about this.
> Most likely the Wednesday or Thursday (please complain if you'd like to
> help but that is not a good time). The reason for the delay is that I'm
> getting married at the end of the month, so time is a bit of a
> non-existant commodity for me until that week!

Thursdays are better for me than Wednesdays so the 12th of August gets
my vote.

> Now, perks...... apart from the obvious perk of being able to help
> others and help give back to the community, any volunteer who turns up
> to an OSS event that I happen to be at (say Oggcamp next year), there
> will be all kinds of free cake.

Cake! Yum!

Bruno