[ubuntu-uk] Intel GM965 to an LCD tv

pete peter.smout at o2.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 15:46:40 BST 2010

On 08/07/10 22:40, John Stevenson wrote:
> On 8 July 2010 19:47, Nick Callaghan
> <nicholas.callaghan at gmail.com
> <mailto:nicholas.callaghan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey all,
>
>     I've been lurking on the list for a while but this is my first post.
>     I'm trying to get an asus laptop to output to a Grundig LCD Tv via a
>     hdmi cable but having no sucess at present. The graphics controller
>     is an intel GM965.
>
>     When the hdmi cable is plugged in at boot the resoloution on the
>     laptop goes all weird like it's set to a really small resolution and
>     the tv flickers with a blue tint through the picture.
>
>     I have managed to get the LCD tv to function correctly as a second
>     display by plugging in the cable once i get to the desktop, however
>     doing this doesn't route the sound via the hdmi cable. If i turn off
>     the main laptop display the resolution changes moving the top and
>     bottom panels off the edge of the screen.
>
>     What i would ideally like would be to be able to use the LCD as the
>     sole display and the sound also to route via the tv speakers.
>
>     I've had a search online and can't find anything in either launchpad
>     or the forums. Does anybody have any experience with the graphic
>     controller of grundig tv's and could point me in the right direction?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Nick
>
> Hello Nick,
> I am afraid I dont know your hardware, but here are my thoughts...
>
> You did not mention in your email if you change the sound settings to
> hear sound through your hdmi connected TV?  If you are not aware, you
> would need to use System > Preferences > Sound and alter the settings in
> the output tab.
>
> Most laptops have limited graphics card performance and wont get the
> best results when running two displays, so if you can close the laptop
> lid whist booting you may get better results.  Otherwise I would suggest
> using the System > Preferences > Display control to try get the best
> from just having your tv as the sole display, turning off your laptop
> display.  Once you have the right display, you should be able to just
> run the laptop with the lid closed.
>
> --
> John Stevenson
> Lean Agile Consultant / Coach
> jr0cket.com <http://jr0cket.com>  | leanagilemachine.com
> <http://leanagilemachine.com>

Hi,
I have a similar setup with different hardware, also on desktop pc not
laptop (using nvidia video card)

And I have discovered that my LCD tv 'overscans'! that is the desktop
and shells edges are hidden by the edges of the physical screen! after
much googleing around I have been unable to resolve this (forgive me for
this but winxp has a 'underscan' button in the graphics driver software
that fixes the problem! although ubuntu does not.) the current
workaround I am using is a frame of empty panels (toolbars) to take up
the space at the side of the screen that i cannot see.

Apparently most newer LCD tv's have a dot-for-dot setting or a HDMI (pc)
setting that corrects this.

I only mention this to again highlight the fact that not all LCD tv's
have this feature, and if one of the issues you mention in the post is
that the desktop edges disappear of the edge of the screen, this could
be the reason. and although the framing with panels (gnome desktop)
works to a point it is not an ideal solution and hopefully devs are
taking note!

Good luck with your laptop

Regards

Pete