[ubuntu-uk] Recommended small server hardware

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Jul 8 17:31:28 BST 2010

On 8 July 2010 17:19, Paul Willis <paul.willis at me.com> wrote:
> Both of which seem to fit the bill regarding power, footprint etc both at good prices but have either of you (or anyone else) actually run 10.04 on them okay?

I have two Revos on my desktop side by side. One runs Lucid, one runs
Maverick. Both run just fine. They're a bit gutless when it comes to
more intensive stuff, but fine for general surfing etc. Probably even
better as a small scale server.

> I know I sound a bit paranoid but the Mac Mini we bought was originally going to be used and we wasted a lot of time (and expense) before we realised Ubuntu wasn't yet compatible. We really just need to buy something that we know will work.

To be expected with Macs. I own a macbook pro which you can't
currently install Ubuntu on...

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/576601

Not a massive issue for me because I have multiple computers, and know
these things will be fixed over time (and indeed in the case of that
one it's pretty much done now), but for new users it could be an
issue.

Cheers,
Al.