[ubuntu-uk] Setting up a mailing system

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 12:59:01 BST 2010

> Hi Guys,
> I have a VPS running Ubuntu 10.04 on which i need to set up a mailing
> system, so it can send and recieve emails through PHP, however i am having a
> little rpoblem with the way Google is telling me to do it...one tutorial is
> from Ubuntu 8.04 and will not work...
> So if there is anyone experienced in this field, would they mind giving me a
> hand?
> Dan

Try the following:

apt-get update apt-get upgrade
apt-get install exim4-daemon-light mailutils

If you need to configure exim try:

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

Go through the configuration options and choose the internet site
option but make sure that exim is listening only on localhost.

Should sort you out...

Actually I've been working on a bash script that sets up up Apache
2.2, MySQL 5.1, the Apache Worker MPM and PHP 5.3 running as a FastCGI
application with suPHP for a LAMP server and then allows people to
setup multiple virtual hosts quickly from the command line.

I've been thinking of releasing it as a project for people to use if
anyone's interesting.

Chris