[ubuntu-uk] Recommended small server hardware

John Stevenson john at jr0cket.com
Tue Jul 6 17:26:29 BST 2010

On 6 July 2010 17:05, Paul Willis <paul.willis at me.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend any hardware that would be the equivalent to a Mac
> Mini that is guaranteed to run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS as a headless server?
>
> Background:
>
> We are a Mac shop but are now using Ubuntu 10.04 on our production servers.
> We would like to set up an Ubuntu 10.04 server in our office for
> development.
>
> We have a brand new Apple Mac Mini which would have been perfect but having
> looked into it there's a bug/driver problem with the latest Macs with SATA
> drives. While this is on the list to be fixed nobody knows how long this
> will be so I think our best bet is to get a small PC for the purpose.
>
> I know nothing about PCs, what's available, what's dodgy, what will work
> without problems with Ubuntu etc so I'm hoping someone here can point me in
> the right direction. As mentioned - ideally we'd like the PC equivalent of a
> Mac Mini. Small footprint, low power consumption, couple of GB of RAM,
> fairly decent CPU, ethernet most important though is a fuss free Ubuntu
> install.
>
> As it will be run as a headless server great graphics capability isn't an
> issue
>
> Any suggestions
>
> Paul

Hello Paul,
I use the Acer Aspire Revo's as a low power consumption development servers
for Java/Scala development and application/database servers.  You can even
get them without the Microsoft tax at
ebuyer.com<http://www.ebuyer.com/product/200537>at a very decent price
>£200.

Whilst not quite as fast a CPU as the Mac Mini, they do have dual core cpu's
and run 32bit and 64bit versions of Ubuntu perfectly.

Dual core Atom 330
2Gb RAM
Gigabit Ethernet
Small footprint

I've not had any performance problems with the revo's as servers or
development machines and even render blender 3d animation scenes very
quickly.

Thanks.
--
John Stevenson