[ubuntu-uk] Using computer's internet connection on phone via bluetooth

Grant Sewell dcglug at thymox.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 17:22:55 BST 2010

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:25:30 +0100
Thomas Ibbotson wrote:

> On 5 July 2010 14:16, Paul Morgan-Roach <roachy at roachy.net> wrote:
> > Not sure about Bluetooth, but with a second wifi adapter you should
> > be able to configure an ad-hoc network from the Ubuntu machine.
> > You'd need to configure the Ubuntu machine as a DHCP server and
> > configure IP forwarding - this might be a breach of terms though as
> > this would technically make the Ubuntu machine a Wireless router....
>
> That's certainly an option, and I have set up an ad-hoc network.
> However the Nexus One can't connect to ad-hoc networks, to make that
> work would require rooting my phone and fiddling with it. I'd rather
> not go down that path unless absolutely necessary.
> >
> > I'd be interested to find out if this is possible using
> > bluetooth...although if bluetooth devices are assigned an IP
> > address then it should be possible to route traffic from bluetooth
> > over the Ubuntu box.

> Given you can do it the other way round, I thought it must be
> feasible. Somehow I get the feeling that even if it was possible it
> would probably still require me rooting my phone.
>
> Tom

Yes, it is technically possible *if* the Bluetooth tools on the Nexus
One support it.  I used to do this with my ol' Sony Ericsson K800i.

If I remember correctly you'd need to:
+ edit the laptop's "class" in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf
+ configure Bluetooth PAN networking
+ setup a bridge between your eth/wlan device and your bnep device

Grant.