[ubuntu-uk] Using computer's internet connection on phone via bluetooth

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Jul 5 14:36:43 BST 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:41 +0100, "Thomas Ibbotson"
<thomas.ibbotson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Nexus One, but I don't have a wireless router in my college
> accommodation and I'm not allowed to install one. I was wondering if
> anyone knew a way to connect my phone to my computer's internet
> connection via bluetooth. I know you can do the opposite, i.e. allow
> my computer to use my phone's internet connection, but I think I'm the
> only person in the world who wants to do it the other way round. It's
> impossible to find anything by searching, as everything I find is for
> connecting my computer to my phone. I know network-manager can handle
> bluetooth networks, but I can't find a way to set one up that my phone
> can connect to.

I'm pretty sure you can make your laptop behave like a phone by using
the bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN) stuff. The same tools that are
used to do this on the N900 should be usable on ubuntu so following
instructions something like
http://syntacticsugar.nl/2009/12/03/bluetooth-tethering-with-nokia-n900/
but doing the N900 steps on your laptop and ignoring the ubuntu steps
should set that up.

I don't know if that'll help though, as I don't know if the Nexus One
supports bluetooth DUN where it's the one doing the dialing.

Robert
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The opinions expressed herin are not necessarily those of my
employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.