[ubuntu-uk] 10.04 Wireless Toshiba Portege PP041E

daveg at boavon.plus.com daveg at boavon.plus.com
Sat Jul 3 13:19:17 BST 2010

A little update - but still need help.  I have booted up live version of
9.04 and guess what - yes Wifi works out of the box with no problems.
Previously tried booting up 10.04 live cd but no such luck.

with 9.04 live the lshw -C Network output is as follows:-

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network
       product: 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: a
       bus info: pci at 0000:00:0a.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 0d
       serial: 00:00:39:3f:46:a5
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e100
driverversion=3.5.23-k6-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=64 maxlatency=56
mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes
  *-network:0
       physical id: 1
       logical name: eth1
       serial: 00:02:2d:6a:a2:d1
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15
firmware=Lucent/Agere 8.10 ip=192.168.0.6 multicast=yes
wireless=IEEE 802.11b
  *-network:1 DISABLED
       physical id: 2
       logical name: pan0
       serial: 32:cc:2c:b8:e9:2a
       capabilities: ethernet physical
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3
firmware=N/A multicast=yes

Previously on my installed 10.04 version the same command produced this
output:
 *-network
       product: 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: a
       bus info: pci at 0000:00:0a.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 0d
       serial: 00:00:39:3f:46:a5
       size: 10MB/s
       capacity: 100MB/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100
driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=64
link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
       resources: irq:11 memory:f7efe000-f7efefff ioport:eec0(size=64)
memory:f7ec0000-f7edffff
  *-network
       product: Version 01.01
       vendor: TOSHIBA
       physical id: 0
       slot: Socket 0
       resources: irq:11
  *-network:0
       physical id: 2
       logical name: wlan0
       serial: 00:0f:cb:c0:fe:cd
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.0.8 multicast=yes
wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
  *-network:1
       physical id: 3
       logical name: eth1
       serial: 00:02:2d:6a:a2:d1
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=orinoco driverversion=0.15
firmware=Lucent/Agere 9.48 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE
802.11b

There are differences - but what do I need to do in 10.4 to make it work
like 9.04 live does?  If its a driver issue I beg for some gentle hand
holding to put right.  Seems to be some issues though about eth0 and eth1.
 Is the wireless in 9.04 pretending to be a wired?

Please help.
DaveG

> Still having problems getting wifi working and now working off hardwire
I/F in case my usb wifi was confusing matters.  Still searching around the
> net for some clues on how to fix but it seems there is nobody with any
definitive answers :)

> ### When does a new LTS become a downgrade when one of the fundamental
functions ceases to work?  I was fine with 8.04!!!!! ###

> Did find a shell routine though at
> http://www.linux-tips-and-tricks.de/index.php/collectNWData.sh/Benutzeranleitung/Usersguide-von/of-collectNWData.html#English
which has given me a text file with a whole bunch of diagnostics which I
can trawl through again for clues to fix.  Unless, of course, you guys can