[ubuntu-uk] Lucid Lynx TV Advert

Jonathon Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:46:49 GMT 2010

On 31 January 2010 17:28, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:

> Er you need the backing of parents to allow their kids in to a chat
> room,  we need to educate everyone,  what you said here implies that
> "mums" are computer illiterate.

I hate to tell you this, but most parents haven't got a clue what
their children are doing on their laptops in their rooms. Even schools
have limited control over what pupils can view - while they can
restrict access via the school system pupils just go onto their phones
(and yes, access Facebook et al via mobile web) during
breaks/lunchtimes.

Remember - we're conversing about FOSS software via a mailing list. We
aren't General Ignorant Users, or even General Intelligent Users.
We're Subject Experts.

> I think the idea that one particular group don't know what an operating
> system is or the assumption that someone doesn't know could be seen as
> rather patronising,  lets treat people as if the  there are young female Linux users out there,  who may well one day
> become these mums you are talking about.

I wasn't referring to one particular group - I was referring to the
General Ignorant User. This group exists for all products/services.
Think about cars, or consumer electronics.Yes, Mums as a group is a
sweeping generalisation (and I thought I'd deleted that bit). However,
if you go into PC World to buy a pink laptop then all you ask is
whether it's wireless or not. And whether it has the internet.

> What is needed is to ensure
> that people understand in P L A I N   E N G L I S H  what an operating
> system is.  Something even I find it hard to explain without starting to
> use tech speak.

I hate to go into Prensky here but we're at a border between adoption
stages. There are two sets of consumers, with two different
approaches. Digital Natives already use computers and are comfortable
using them (downloading, ripping, burning, installing). GIUs are
generally Digital Migrants, if that. A different approach is needed as
they are much less confident in using computers, very worried about
"breaking something". Installing a new OS is hardly a safe thing to
do, especially if what they have already works fine (and cost doesn't
come into it - Windows was free with the laptop).

Anyhow, this doesn't help in making a TV-style advert!

Oh - get Canonical to run a competition in schools with a prize and exhibition.

Jonathon