[ubuntu-uk] Lucid Lynx TV Advert

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 16:09:39 GMT 2010

On 31/01/2010 14:50, CShadowRun wrote:
> I don't think shots of IRC or the forum would be that good, there's alot
> of negative stigma around "Chat rooms" and "Online forums" unfortunately :(

To be honest, to a non-geek, the idea of IRC might be off putting.  I
don't know anyone who isn't a geek who uses IRC, usually it's Windows
Live messenger or Skype which yes I know isn't the same as IRC, but it's
what the people I know use, for instance my step daughter is round here
at the moment on her Vista (ugh!) laptop running Windows Live messenger
talking to about 10 people at once.  I mentioned IRC to her and she
turned round and just grunted at me (well she is 15).

Maybe it would be more attractive if there was a sexy looking front end
to IRC.

I do wonder if a good idea would be to 'borrow' the iPhone advert idea,
an app for everything...

Want to do Word Processing?

There's an app for that (OpenOffice)

Want to browse the web?

There's an app for that (Firefox)

Want chat to your friends?

There's an app for that (Empathy)

Want to backup your important pictures and documents?

There's an app for that (Ubuntu One)

Want to run alongside Windows?

There's an app for that (Wubi)

Then mention the Ubuntu Software Centre with thousands of applications
available covering just about anything you could need.

Well, I hope you get the point...

Rob