[ubuntu-uk] Lucid Marketing

James Milligan lists at lake54.com
Sun Jan 31 13:43:59 GMT 2010

On 31/01/2010 13:31, Liam Wilson wrote:
> I'm in Liverpool, so I guess we could do a bit of work there.
>
> Yeah, that telly ad sounds like a really good idea! Perhaps we could
> all make one video, then show it in all our regions, if that makes any
> sense...
>
> But how would we go about making the video, like a screencast sort of
> progect?
>
> On 31 January 2010 13:23, James Milligan <lists at lake54.com
> <mailto:lists at lake54.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 31/01/2010 13:16, CShadowRun wrote:
>     > Steve wrote:
>     >
>     >> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:27:42 -0000, Liam
>     Wilson<liamwilson93 at gmail.com <mailto:liamwilson93 at gmail.com>>
>     >> wrote:
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>> Sent!
>     >>>
>     >>> Perhaps there could be a way to put this up on the Ubuntu UK wiki,
>     >>> either as
>     >>> a project, or just he image, that the team and other Ubuntu
>     users can
>     >>> download to spam their local areas with?
>     >>>
>     >>> Liam
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >> Don’t see why not.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >
>     > As a suggestion (My video editing skills certainly arn't up to
>     par, and
>     > I'm not exactly rolling in money) we could get a TV advert.
>     Looking at
>     > this page,
>     > http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/advertising-on-itv/cost-of-advertising a
>     > regional advert can cost as little as £30, Granted the £30 is an
>     11am
>     > slot on border and only regional, but an adverts an advert.
>     There are
>     > also total network slots from about £3,829 but I assume that's
>     beyond
>     > our finances. Maybe other networks offer better deals too. We
>     could even
>     > possibly target some online tech podcasts (although unless we chose
>     > carefully we may well be preaching to the choir). Personally I think
>     > some adverts showing off compiz would be killer for marketing lucid,
>     > heck it was a compiz video that attracted me to Ubuntu in the
>     first place :)
>     >
>     >
>     I like the ad idea.
>
>     Don't want to be seen to be 'advertising' but if anybody wants
>     anything
>     filming, I'm actually a cameraman with my own kit. Anyone in the North
>     West/Manchester fancy doing some filming?
>
>     Probably best to talk off-list if so.
>
>     James Milligan

> [...]
I guess depending on what sort of quality etc everything was filmed in,
it could be uploaded 'somewhere', then someone could edit it all
together, and send the finished product to the person dealing with ITV
(or whoever).

The theme or look I had in my mind could be a 5-10 second clip showing
someone using a mockup of Windows (I doubt they'd let us use the real
one!), and getting annoyed, then the same person perhaps doing the same
sort of thing with Ubuntu, and just 'happier'. Then the last clip zooms
out to a square/rectangle of 4 videos, which zoom out to 9 etc etc etc,
showing the scale of the 'product'. Ends with the logo/background/web
address etc. If it's regional and the LoCo team have a URL, show that too.

Alternatively, we could come at it from a more community-based approach,
and have a couple of 5-10 second clips showing people use Ubuntu, and
going along the square 'image' I described above, choosing random ones
to show 'full size'.

A third idea I've just had is possibly to feature the forum support -
show someone with 'Windows' calling a helpdesk of some sort, then cut to
an Ubuntu set-up, where the actor/actress is posting on the forum, and
'within minutes/seconds' has an answer.

There's loads more ideas, such as adding software - could show someone
going to 'PC World' (again a mockup), buying expensive software etc etc
etc, then with Ubuntu it's a simple addition, and free - etc.

I've never actually done adverts before, I'm more of an event
videographer, but they're not vastly different, certainly when it comes
to tech.

James