[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Heads up - Government wants FOSS

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:02:15 GMT 2010

On 29/01/10 22:14, alan c wrote:
> A third attempt at a published Government strategy. It looks even more
> like it means business than the preceding ones.
>
> Open Source, Open Standards and Re-Use: Government Action Plan
> http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/318020/open_source.pdf

This has been discussed at length. The Action Plan itself is pretty
good, but unfortunately the Cabinet Office seem to have little or no
power to actually police or enforce it.

If you are interested follow some of the links on my blog post here:
http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2010/01/28/uk-gov-updates-open-source-policy/

Another interesting snippet of news today is what has apparently
happened in Denmark...

http://jan.wildeboer.net/2010/01/denmark-goes-odf-only-odf-sorry-ooxml/

There is more around the net on this too...

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com