[ubuntu-uk] Please help.I've lost my partitions

Paul Roach roachy at roachy.net
Mon Jan 25 10:34:31 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM, javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please point towards an article regarding re creating the partition
> table?

I'd strongly recommend getting another drive of the same size or
larger and dd'ing the broken drive.  Then you can work on a copy if
the drive without touching the original data.

Working with a borked drive is dangerous in that in trying to recover
the data, it's very easy to make matters worse....

Get another drive before proceeding and install in the machine.....then

sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=4k conv=noerror,sync

(where hda in the example is the original broken disk and hdb is the
new blank disk).  You can then work with a copy of the disk without
worries...

Good luck

Paul