[ubuntu-uk] Low power server

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 20:52:25 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:18 +0000, Andrew Seyes wrote:
> I have been looking for a low power server to replace an old machine I
> run at home (a pentium II running hardy). In my search I came across
> the Aleutia T1 fanless PC [1] which seems to fit the bill and comes
> with Karmic pre-installed.
>
> I wondered if anyone on the list has any experience of this machine or
> has any other recommendations for a low power server.

I got very good service from TranquilPC, who are a small outfit based in
Manchester: http://tranquilpc.co.uk/

I bought one of their T2e servers a few years ago with a 2.5" HDD in it
and it's been running Ubuntu flawlessly (first 7.10, now 8.04). I
blogged about it here:
http://brunogirin.blogspot.com/2008/01/silent-server.html

The machine is fanless and really, really silent. In fact, if it wasn't
for the blue glow of the front plate, you'd never know it's on.

In terms of power consumption, it's not as good as some that others have
posted but considering the machine is 2 years old, newer models are
probably a lot more efficient. One essential thing to consider is to use
2.5" HDD rather than 3.5" ones as they are designed for laptops and tend
to be more power-efficient.

Bruno