[ubuntu-uk] Low power server

Guy Thouret lists at thouret.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 12:09:43 GMT 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:22 +0000, Gordon Allott wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:18 +0000, Andrew Seyes wrote:
> > I have been looking for a low power server to replace an old machine I
> > run at home (a pentium II running hardy). In my search I came across
> > the Aleutia T1 fanless PC [1] which seems to fit the bill and comes
> > with Karmic pre-installed.
> >
> > I wondered if anyone on the list has any experience of this machine or
> > has any other recommendations for a low power server.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andrew
> >
> > [1] http://www.aleutia.com/products/t1
> >

> I have a mini-itx with an atom cpu as my low power server, anything
> that's fanless generally means it'll be fairly low power though. The
> seagate Barracuda line of hard-drives make for great low power storage
> if you favour low power over speed (i do!).
>
> I haven't tested my servers power consumption but its basically got the
> same hardware as my netbook and my netbook uses about 8 watts of power
> and thats with running an LCD display + gpu stuff so not bad.

Also worth consideration is the Fit-PC[1].  Made by Israeli outfit
CompuLab, the version I'm evaluating came with 8.10 and a custom kernel
(I think this is for HD video support?).

1.6GHz Atom, 160GB 2.5" SATA drive, 1GB RAM, DVI, 6 USB and IR.

I've measured it on a bench supply idling at 5.4W and during a stress
test at 100% CPU it was only pulling 6.24W.

There is also an industrial version due in March with dual Gig-E, RS232
and optional flash storage.

Widely available through UK distributors such as CPC[2] for £285 ex.
VAT.

[1] http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/fit-pc2-specifications/
[2]
http://cpc.farnell.com/fit-pc/fit-pc-2-turbo-linux/pc-fit-pc-2-turbo-linux/dp/SB03895