[ubuntu-uk] Possible Training Events

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 16:09:42 GMT 2010

Quoting Matthew Daubney <matt at daubers.co.uk>:

>> Beginners are not the easiest people to teach to. I would suggest
>> starting with some moderately advanced topics like "how to package an
>> app for Ubuntu".
> I was hoping to avoid this if possible. There is a _lot_ of stuff on
> these already, and people who want to learn this know where to look and
> are generally happy with whats there. What I wanted to tackle was those
> people who are uncomfortable with IRC and following web tutorials and
> it's ilk. These people (I believe) will be the really basic beginners. I
> was hoping to tackle a little bit of converting people through education
> type stuff by running these events as well, but thats a secondary aim.
>
> I know it's more difficult, but I honestly believe this is the more
> worthwhile path to follow. Please feel free to argue at me the other way
> though :) The more views the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'd say I like this idea, I think it would be good to have some
beginner documentation for things like install days etc.  I'd like to
be able to install Ubuntu for someone, or talk them through installing
Ubuntu themselves and then let them have some printed material to take
away to refer back to.

Rob