[ubuntu-uk] Possible Training Events

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:06:11 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 12:03 +0000, Matthew Daubney wrote:
> On 17/01/10 04:08, Bruno Girin wrote:

[snip]

> > In terms of material, I agree that there's no point in having a slide
> > deck as trainees will promptly forget the content. Furthermore it
> > requires a projector, which is more equipment to get hold of. On the
> > other hand, it is essential to give comprehensive course material,
> > including exercises, that they can take home and refer to at their
> > leisure. This can take the form of a CD, the URL of a file to download,
> > etc. One thing to consider as well is a printout of the core course
> > material so that they can follow during the course and take notes.
> >

> At one point there was a proposal to make a DVD from the screencasts, if
> we could create a set of screencasts with some kind of leaflet to go
> with it giving some exercises we could achieve two aims at once.

I would add to that some training notes, exercises, answers, etc. in the
form of a text or PDF file. Once people have had any sort of training,
they will want to put it into practice but may not remember everything
that was said so would want to refer back to some material. A screencast
is good but is not always the most practical form when you want to
quickly search for a particular aspect of the session and you can't
copy / paste from a screencast. This material could also include things
like code samples or command line history.

[snip]

> > True but it doesn't have to be huge on day 1. We can test drive the
> > concept with small sessions in a coffee shop between interested people
> > bringing their own laptops.
> >
> > Bruno Girin
> >

> Indeed. It may be best then to create a syllabus for absolute beginners,
> and then work upwards. I'll be quite happy to run a session at Oggcamp
> (for those who are planning to attend) to run some real life discussion
> on this.

Beginners are not the easiest people to teach to. I would suggest
starting with some moderately advanced topics like "how to package an
app for Ubuntu". That would enable us to rehearse the process with
trainees who already know the environment, know what they want to get
out of the training and are more able to provide valuable feedback. It's
also the sort of training that has simple success criteria, such as by
the end of it every trainee should be able to package "hello world", so
you can easily verify that you've met said criteria.

Bruno