[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Possible Training Events

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 17 12:04:38 GMT 2010

On 17 Jan 2010 at 10:02, alan c wrote:

> Apart from ignorance, even sheer prejudice, there is strong inertia to
> continue with their existing OS whatever it is.
>
> There is, surprising to me, little motivation for many people I know,
> to move from Windows. However, as Ubuntu gains more coverage,
> including magazines on shelves, people will become aware it is a choice.

This is just the way things are - for most people, computers are MS
Windows.  They always have been, and always will be.  (And guess
what? Even I still use XP as my main OS on my desktop computer
because it still does things that Ubuntu cannot do.)

I'm sure that whatever we do in the way of Ubuntu training must be
targetted at people who already have Ubuntu (or at least a need for
Ubuntu).  We cannot think that these training sessions are aimed at
converting people.  Conversion is a marketing job.  Training can only
be aimed at people who are already converts, or who are the rare few
who cannot have MS Windows.

If we are to get past 'gatekeepers' who are died in the wool MS users,
then we will need a really cast iron reason to teach Ubuntu to people.
Something more than its just good for people to know that there is
another OS other that MS.

Tony