[ubuntu-uk] Possible Training Events

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Sun Jan 17 12:03:15 GMT 2010

On 17/01/10 04:08, Bruno Girin wrote:
> <snippy snip snip>
> I've given technical training in the past and would be happy to help.
> The first question is what type of training are we aiming for? It may be
> easier to start with short sessions that can be done over a few hours,
> either in the evenings or at weekends, as it will require less
> commitment from trainers and trainees.

This sounds like the best idea at first. I would _love_ to eventually do
a large event, but starting small would be much easier logistically.

> The biggest hurdle will probably be to find locations and equipment to
> run the trainings. This can be simplified for training sessions that are
> done as part of a larger event, as we can piggy back on their
> organisation. On the other hand, talking to local community centres, it
> may be possible to get rooms and stuff for free, especially if we offer
> things like running sessions for their members (thus introducing them to
> Ubuntu at the same time).
>

> In terms of teachers, a single teacher who knows his subject and who has
> good course material should be enough. Assistants would only be
> necessary in larger groups. A simple way to help things out is to group
> trainees in pairs rather than let them all have their individual
> computer to play with: they can help each other out. Another trick is to
> ensure you have ample time for hands-on exercises, during which the
> teacher can come round and help the trainees with things they struggle
> with.

Yes, my initial thought in all this was that people will learn more by
acrtually doing something than by sitting and having someone talk to
them. Most of the basic stuff can be taught this way (I believe, but
please feel free to correct me as I've never really trained people
before) but more advanced stuff may require a certain amount of being
lectured too.

> In terms of material, I agree that there's no point in having a slide
> deck as trainees will promptly forget the content. Furthermore it
> requires a projector, which is more equipment to get hold of. On the
> other hand, it is essential to give comprehensive course material,
> including exercises, that they can take home and refer to at their
> leisure. This can take the form of a CD, the URL of a file to download,
> etc. One thing to consider as well is a printout of the core course
> material so that they can follow during the course and take notes.

At one point there was a proposal to make a DVD from the screencasts, if
we could create a set of screencasts with some kind of leaflet to go
with it giving some exercises we could achieve two aims at once.

> Computers will be essential. However, it may be difficult to convince
> whatever training centre we use to install Ubuntu on their computers so
> it could be worth having a number of live USB keys with a fresh install
> of Ubuntu and training material on them.

Yes, this is true. If it comes to it I may be able to borrow a pile of
SATA HDD's from work which we could swap out the training centres ones
with. This would require more work though, so I'm not convinced of it's
worth. USB Keys may be the way forward, and if we use Live ones than we
can just reboot machines to get a fresh environment between classes.
>> Would anybody be interested in attending such a thing?
>>
> Definitely! There are lots of things I'd like to learn about Ubuntu so
> I'd definitely be keen to attend as a trainee or as a trainer.

Excellent! From the brief burst of discussion I'm quite taken aback at
how much thought people have put into this! I'll attempt to distill most
of this discussion into the wiki over the course of the day to make it
easier to refer too.
>> This could be quite a large undertaking, so please get involved if
>> you're in the least bit interested!
>>
> True but it doesn't have to be huge on day 1. We can test drive the
> concept with small sessions in a coffee shop between interested people
> bringing their own laptops.
>
> Bruno Girin

Indeed. It may be best then to create a syllabus for absolute beginners,
and then work upwards. I'll be quite happy to run a session at Oggcamp
(for those who are planning to attend) to run some real life discussion
on this.

-Matt Daubney