[ubuntu-uk] Possible Training Events

Joe joseph.odell at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 17 10:14:17 GMT 2010

> I wondered if an
> option to deal with this might be to offer a short series of evening
> class at the local high school (many of which run 'recreational' evening
> classes), or approach the University of the Third Age or the Workers
> Educational Association to offer a short course.

That sounds like a good plan. My local school (Bedfordshire - ~1600 pupils!)
wouldn't have a problem at all with that, in fact, they actually hire out
rooms to local groups. I'm sure if I sent an email to the facilities office
and expalined the situation, that they would be more than happy to help. All
the classrooms have projectors, and most have interactive whiteboards too.

Would anybody be interested in attending such a thing?

Yeah! Being a novice, I'd love to join in and learn a bit more about
Linux/Ubuntu from people who know what they're talking about. :)

However, it may be difficult to convince
> whatever training centre we use to install Ubuntu on their computers so
> it could be worth having a number of live USB keys with a fresh install
> of Ubuntu and training material on them.

I agree, especially at my school, there would be no chance of installing
ubuntu on the computers. However, perhaps it would be an idea to acquire,
say, 20 usb thumbdrives and load Ubuntu onto them. Would a "live" or a
"persistent" installation be preffered?

> This could be quite a large undertaking, so please get involved if
>> > you're in the least bit interested!

I would have no problem whatsoever in giving a hand in this project.
Although I'm not the most experienced user, I will give what I can to this
project. One thing that has just
 popped into my head would be for me to spend a weekend preloading Ubuntu
onto memory keys and then sending them onto whoever wants them.

Individuals wanting to run a proper operating system at home
> People wanting to introduce Ubuntu into their workplace
> Students wanting to use it in their studies

Although I'd class myself as the last category, I'd say that I would fit
into all 3!
However, I cant really see how each of the three groups  would need
different training. Surely just a "crash course" in ubuntu would be
sufficient? I'm sure it isnt, but I was just thinking.

Regards,

Joe
(ascenseur)

Stephen Leacock<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html>
- "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue that I shall some
day
die, which is not so."