[ubuntu-uk] panic, panic_on_oops, panic_on_unrevocered_nmi?

Alexander Birchall tengallonhat at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 10:55:09 GMT 2010

Hello,

In the manual entry for "bootparams" it states:

"panic=N
By default the kernel will not reboot after a panic, but this option will  cause
a  kernel reboot after N seconds (if N > 0).  This panic timeout can also be set
by "echo N > /proc/sys/kernel/panic"."

Therefore, I thought it advisable to set the kernel to reboot 30 seconds after a panic, which I have done (on a Hardy Heron 8.04 server).

I see that in /proc/sys/kernel/ there are also files named "panic_on_oops" and "panic_on_unrecovered_nmi", both of which contain one value, that value being zero.  Would it be advisable to set the value in these files to 30 as well?

Many thanks

Alex Birchall