[ubuntu-uk] No sound

Keith keith at grumpyface.me.uk
Sun Feb 21 16:10:10 GMT 2010

It's recently dawned on me that it's been some time since I heard the
jungle drums when Ubuntu boots up.  I tried playing an mp3 which
confirmed that I had no sound

I've done a fair bit of googling but to no avail.  Sound is turned on,
the volume is high, Ubuntu recognises the soundcard, etc., etc.  This is
a dual boot machine and sound is fine on the PC.

When I hover the mouse on the icon at the top right of the screen a
yellow message pops up telling me that output is 100%, 0.00 dB, Dummy
Output.

Can anyone explain this and also advise me how to recover sound.

Cheers,

Keith.

  ---
Keith Bowerman,