[ubuntu-uk] Alex (laptop, not person)

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:47:32 GMT 2010

On 19/02/10 18:56, Rob Beard wrote:
<snip />
> Certainly looks good with a fairly clear interface, but I'm not sure of
> their claim of it being a computer for life, especially considering how
> quickly things change.

One of the interesting aspects of the design (if it's similar to what we
saw a couple of years ago) is that it is all centralised, so they can
update the OS remotely adding new features etc. As the OS, UI *and* all
applications are in their control they can manage hardware resources etc.

Obviously it isn't going to be suited to the people who lurk on this
mailing list, but there is a market for something like this I'm sure.
Whether Alex is the right one/right pricing model remains to be seen...

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com