[ubuntu-uk] Reverting to original version of Firefox - 10.04

Jim Price d1version at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:15:21 UTC 2010

On 31/12/10 12:10, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> I installed the latest Firefox version from the Mozilla nightly ppa
> which was working perfectly until an update today when I can't get it to
> open.
> I uninstalled it but can't see the original Firefox that shipped with
> 10.04 anywhere, not in the Ubuntu Software centre or in Synaptic Package
> manager.
> Can someone tell me how I can re-install the original 10.04 Firefox?

The package manager defaults to installing the most recent version of a
package it knows about, so you have to get it to forget about the
version in the Mozilla ppa.

To do this you need to disable or remove the Mozilla nightly repository
and reload your package lists, then you should be able to re-install
Firefox 3.6 from the package manager or with this in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox

You might also have to remove any of the Firefox 4 beta dependencies.
The main one which springs to mind is xulrunner, which is at version 2
for Firefox 4 and version 1.9.2 in the default Firefox in 10.04.

--
JimP