[ubuntu-uk] e1000e driver woes on 10.10

Bruno Girin brunogirin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:39:41 GMT 2010

On 29 December 2010 08:22, Tim Dobson <lists at tdobson.net> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I'm having some issues with my parent's recently upgraded maverick
> desktop and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts here.
>
> The issue is that the ethernet connectivity appears to (in about 50% of
> boots) bounce continuously giving the users no connectivity.
>
> When the interface doesn't come up properly here are the results of:
> cat /var/log/syslog | grep e1000e
> http://pastebin.com/ctKj9HPX
>
> FYI, a successful boot where looks like this; http://pastebin.com/L4c8YmPA

The only difference I can see between the two is that when on
successful boot, the interface is up and running prior to
NetworkManager reporting the Ethernet device found, while on a failed
boot, NetworkManager reports the Ethernet device found prior to the
interface being up (see lines 11, 12, 13 in both logs). What may
happen after that is that NM gets confused and tries to bring the
interface down and then up repeatedly but doesn't wait long enough for
the interface to come up. It may be worth having a look at the NM
settings to see if there is anything that can help, although I didn't
find anything through a cursory search.

Cheers,

Bruno