[ubuntu-uk] Research Required

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 28 22:20:11 GMT 2010

On 28 December 2010 19:45, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 10.4 LTS. I removed the bottom task bar completely so as
> not to complicate matters with the concept of workspaces. I moved the top
> task bar to the bottom of the screen, then added the task list applet so
> that open applications would each be represented by a familiar button. I
> removed the Firefox and Help icons to complete the Windows look-and-feel as
> far as possible.

My experience with setting up Windows users with Ubuntu has been that
the top and bottom bars have not been an issue.  Users are, after all,
experienced with application menus and toolbars at the top of windows,
which is more or less what the top bar is.  I think trying to make it
as much like Windows as possible is unnecessary.  Better to
concentrate on making users aware that they are getting something
better, they then expect it to be different, and as long as the
operation is logical and simple there will be few problems.  If we try
to convince users that they are getting a windows clone they may
complain about the differences that they will find.  If we convince
them they are getting something that is better (_and_ free) then they
are more likely to accept the differences, or even revel in them.

By all means set the workspaces to one to get rid of that complexity though.

Colin