[ubuntu-uk] What's the best...

Mark Fraser ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 17:01:24 GMT 2010

On Friday 17 Dec 2010 16:35:00 Alan Pope wrote:
> On 17 December 2010 16:32, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > XMPP server:- Prosody :)
> >   Why: Local secure IM and chatrooms, with various fun features.
>
> That sounds fun! Kids would like that too.
>
> > Caching APT proxy:- ???
> >   I haven't tried this, but given that I have bandwidth caps and
> > several Ubuntu PCs I'd probably look into this if I had a server
> > running 24/7.
>
> Yes, that's a great idea, I often have to do reinstalls for testing,
> and updating lots of packages can be tedious, even with a fast
> connection. Good one!

I'm thinking about building a server too and one of the things I wanted it for
was a caching apt proxy. There seem to be a few ways of doing this though,
which is the best of the lot?

Some of the other things I wanted to put on my server were:
LAMP for website testing
A torrent downloader - something like deluge or torrentflux
Squeezecenter - I have 2 squeezeboxes
Twonky