[ubuntu-uk] What's the best...

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:26:34 GMT 2010

On 17 December 2010 15:55, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> Hullo!
>
> I'm installing a little Ubuntu server for home. (AMD 1.3GHz CPU, 1GB
> RAM, 160GB disk, low power, low noise)
>
> One of these things:-
>
> http://popey.me/dNBjHT
>
> (112 quid once you get the cash back)
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of making it a little "home office" server with
> a few roles (listed below). It's for play initially, imagine an office
> of 5 people or so, doing typical file etc sharing, but as it's in the
> home, maybe chuck a couple of fun things on there too.
>
> I have some idea what I'd use, but wonder what selections people would
> make, and maybe what additional things you'd do with such a box? I
> don't want to get into religious debates about which mail server is
> best, just what you'd choose and maybe why.
>
> I'm thinking of probably doing a very basic Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS
> install and trying to use packages from the repositories, but happy to
> use 3rd party repos, or PPAs, compiling from source is not an
> attractive proposition to me :)
>
> Mailserver:- Postfix
> Webmail:- Roundcube webmail
> File sharing:- SAMBA (with some config fu)
> Webcam monitor:- Webcam (part of xawtv)
> Media server (music/photo/video):- ???
> VOIP server:- ???
>
> What am I missing / what would you do?

Media server - it depends on what's going to be at the other end: for other
computers try Firefly Media Server (might be in the repo as mt-daapd). It
shares media over DAAP, which is the sharing protocol in iTunes. It works
with said iTunes and Rhythmbox among other things. If it's something like
a PS3 then Mediatomb, Tversity or PS3 Media Server - all are UPnP systems,
with Tversity being the easiest to use.

VOIP server might be overkill - I only know a bit of Asterisk and it's
rather too much for a home setup, especially on a shared machine. You might
be able to do multiuser trickery with Epiphany.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"Is this your sanderling?"