[ubuntu-uk] Netbook suggestion for a 4 year old

Will Bickerstaff will.bickerstaff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:25:47 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Alan Bell <
alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:

> Tuxpaint and Gcompris!
>
> great fun apps to play with.
> To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about parental controls for a few
> years, just put the cbeebies website as the browser home page and you
> are done!

There's also a great maths arcade style game TuxMath? I think which mine
love.

I've done exactly this for my 7yr old, (desktop not netbook) which he's been
using since about the same age. I do though add some icons for things like
disney, dc and marvel comics dr who, cartoon network sites etc in the links
bar. If he needs to search for homework, he sits with me and we do it
together on mine.

I've used cron and Zenity to shut it down with warnings every 5 minutes for
20 minutes before shutdown in the evenings and prevent startup before school
time and after getting home (homework time). There's also a built in utility
that enables configuration of a system wide policy for periods between
breaks and duration of breaks, can't remember the name of it though. Ad
blocking is worth having to stop them wandering off by clicking on some
random ad that appears.

If you get an Aspire One avoid the SSDs, battery performance is fantastic
but the disk is slow as hell.