[ubuntu-uk] Want to create an advert for Ubuntu?

Joe Metcalfe joe.metcalfe at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 21:48:13 GMT 2010

>> [1] As for reading and writing all MS files and anything from any Win
>> or OSX program, for obvious complete incompatibility AutoCAD and
>> FruitLoops come to mind. OOo/MSOffice compatibility is still nowhere
>> near good enough for one to just replace the other.>
>
>I have no idea what "FruitLoops" is. AutoCAD I can believe would be
difficult, but then, the only way to open
>an AutoCAD file is to have a copy of AutoCAD, isn't it? IOW, 99.99% of
Windows PCs can't open AutoCAD files
>anyway.

>I have in the past found ways to view the contents of plain .DXF files; I
would not be surprised if with some
>ingenuity, this could be done on Linux.

The main difficulties I have had in reading MS files on Linux is with MS
Publisher (though I don't have Publisher in my Windows copy of MS Office
either!) and with macros in PowerPoint (dynamic content in 3rd part
educational files).

Joe