[ubuntu-uk] OCR ....

Simon Greenwood sfgreenwood at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:07:46 GMT 2010

On 6 December 2010 15:39, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Hi there ....
>
> I rarely need OCR, but one of my slight disappointments is the lack of a
> really accurate OCR engine for Linux.  I've tried all the ones that
> exist (that I've found so far), and apart from being a bit awkward to
> operate, no matter how much I vary the scan settings, I always end up
> doing a lot of corrections to the output.
>
> I've solved the problem by getting an old copy of 'TextBridge OCR' to
> work under Wine.  It's one that came with a long dead scanner I had some
> years ago.  The thing is, TextBridge produces far more accurate output
> with little or no messing about.  It even drives the scanner through
> Twain (I was surprised and pleased by that).
>
> Is anyone out there getting real accuracy with a native Linux app?

I had a need to do some OCR recently and came across a project called
tesseract-ocr: http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/. It's based on HP
code that dates from the mid-90s. I've only used it to extract text from
existing graphics but it seems to be very accurate.

s/

--
My CV: http://bit.ly/sfgreenwood_cv
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonfgreenwood