[ubuntu-uk] Shell script .....

Tyler J. Wagner tyler at tolaris.com
Thu Dec 2 11:35:29 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:14 +0000, Barry Drake wrote:
> I wrote a little script for doing an rsync to a second hard drive.  It
> goes like this:
> #/bin/bash
> rsync -r /home/barry /media/hda1/backups/barry_pc | tee >(zenity
> --progress --pulsate --text="Backing up files ....") >backup_log.txt
> killall zenity
> zenity --info --text="Backup completed sucessfully"
>
> This works fine if I run it from a terminal, but if I try to run it from
> a desktop launcher or (preferred) run it as a startup program, it fails
> to do anything - doesn't launch at all.  If the script is altered to:
>
> #/bin/bash
> rsync -r /home/barry /media/hda1/backups/barry_pc
> zenity --info --text="Backup completed sucessfully"

I suspect that rsync --progress --pulsate requires a real
pseudo-terminal to be allocated. If you run this from a launcher without
the "open in a shell" option, at least the rsync command while fail.

You could do something like:

screen rsync ...

To launch the command inside a terminal emulator.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Scientific theories can be altered by publishing a paper with
reproducible results, and political principles can be changed every two