[ubuntu-uk] Fed-up with VMWare!

Wolf Canis wolf.canis at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 31 19:45:26 BST 2010

Hello all,

just saw this thread and I felt there are some clarification needed.

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 07:43 +0100, Cornelius Mostert wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just to let you know I am FED-UP with VMWare - Server!!
> I have been wrestling with it on Ubuntu and other distros for TOOOOO
> long now!!
> The latest is just the final straw!!
> I have redone my PC to have 10.4 on and loaded VMServer on (with all
> the patches!! I found on the internte to get it installed), but then
> the Console could not be used to open VMs and had to use RDC / VNC
> etc.

Ubuntu 10.04 isn't supported at all. [1] page 26

> I have followed numerous "fixes" but none seem to work:
> Downgrade Firefox from 3.6.xx to 3.5.xx did not work
> Extracting and installing the remote console separately did not work
> ETC.
> And then with every new version of FF or Linux kernals / headers you
> have to hope and pray all will reconfigure!!!

Be reasonable. How shall that work, if you are using a host OS which
isn't supported at all? That means nobody tested it.

> Now I am switching to VirtualBox! Hopefully this will provide a
> solution, I am a GUI person so KVM is still a bit too much for me if
> you have to every time make use of a CLI, I guess there are GUIs for
> it but VirtualBox seems to be easy enough to not take too much time of
> my daily routine.

I used VirtualBox in the past but switched back to VMware Workstation,
because it's has a much better performance, much more reliable and much
more features, which really working.

I work the whole day with VMs - at least 4 in parallel or in other words
I virtualized my whole desktop. I used Ubuntu 9.10, then 10.04 and un-
fortunately in the moment W7, because of the support contract, but will
change in the next months.

So my recommendation would be for professional use VMware Workstation
and for non-professional use VirtualBox, if one wants a easy to use
environment.

> The big box still run ESXi though...

Good choice - ESXi 4.1 has a even better performance and reliability.

Regards,
          Wolf

[1] http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmserver2.pdf