[ubuntu-uk] Is this the new battle ground - energy saving?

pmgazz pmgazz at gmx.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 17:06:53 BST 2010

There's been some work to tune up Linux kernels to ensure they run as
efficiently as possible - I think the bigger gains are in extending the
life of computer equipment though.

As we all know, Ubuntu can run on anything up to 6 years old and you can
re-use pretty much any old kit with an LTSP server. This could keep all
the XP PCs/laptops and servers (which would otherwise need to be thrown
out cos they can't run Windows 7) out of landfill for up to another 5
years. If you look up the carbon footprint of manufacturing a new PC
it'll make your hair stand on end so this is a serious contribution to
the climate change agenda.

It can also run on the small form-factor servers, PCs and netbooks -
and, of course, using the Atom lowers consumption significantly.

Paula