[ubuntu-uk] School Curiculum WAS: Royal Society... IT is boring?

Gordon Burgess-Parker gbplinux at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 11:01:15 BST 2010

  On 26/08/2010 10:43, Mark Harrison wrote:
> The Royal Society do, at least, appear to have someone on their
> advisory board who seems to understand the problem.
>
> From their website:
>
> Professor Matthew Harrison, Director of Education at The Royal Academy
> of Engineering said: “Young people have huge appetites for the
> computing devices they use outside of school. Yet ICT and Computer
> Science in school seem to turn these young people off. We need school
> curricula to engage them better if the next generation are to engineer
> technology and not just consume it”.

Maybe the answer is as posited in the other thread:
Use the other GCSE subjects to teach basic computer and application
USAGE (and preferably not just MS orientated), and change the GCSE IT
course into a programmers/designers course, again preferably Open Source
biased to the pupils can actually write new code, and, probably more
importantly, amend and de-bug currently-used applications etc. You could
put all sorts of things into it like robotics and embedded devices...