[ubuntu-uk] Code management systems

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:24:12 BST 2010

On 19 August 2010 14:09, Cornelius Mostert
<corneliusmostert at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> The company I work for has outgrown their Change Management Solution. They
> have developers in US, Canada, India and maybe soon in China and I was
> wondering what solutions are there for:
>
>    1. a global development market, it needs to be fast and I guess it will
>    be web based.
>    2. it would be best if it could track the change/bug detail right down
>    to the file version that has been changed ( the current solution keeps
>    Change objects and file objects and connect the 2 on a version level so you
>    could go back and get al the files (and correct version of the file) done
>    for a change OR look at a file version and see what change objects link to
>    it)
>
> <snip>

Hi Cornelius,

Not sure how much is relevant to your situation, but here is how we do it:

We use git over ssh, managed on a central server using gitosis (
http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git but available in the ubuntu
repositories). Gitosis also makes user management for small teams easy.

We use redmine (http://www.redmine.org/) for our issue tracking system which
ties in with git, so that we can use things like "refs #1234" to link a git
commit to an issue (or even "fixes #1234" to close it). It also has a
repository browser built in.

A couple of developers are using eclipse as their IDE with the Mylyn (
http://www.eclipse.org/mylyn/) which also links in with both redmine and git
to enable them to manage their work queue and do all their work in one
place.

The other useful bit of software I have found useful for git is giggle (
http://live.gnome.org/giggle) which is just a GUI for browsing local git
repos.

Hope That Helps

Steve Garton