[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:42:43 BST 2010

On 18 August 2010 23:19, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
> On 18 August 2010 18:11, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I did not say that it was necessarily a generally accepted definition,
>> merely that by that definition GIMP is recursive and therefore my
>> original statement that 'it depends on the definition' is true.
>> Having said that I believe I have seen that definition used somewhere
>> on the web so it must be ok.  I will just have a quick google ...  Ah
>> yes, have a look at
>> http://old.nabble.com/11.04-Natty-Narwhal-td29463807i20.html#a29470562
>
> Except that Wikipedia says no such thing, so you are deluding yourself
> completely...

I never said it did, that was someone else, he/she was deluding him/her self.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym
>
> So, please, before we all lose the will to live instead of INVENTING
> definitions to back up your assertion, try sending some LINKS to ANY
> definition that suggests GIMP is recursive, for it is not and will
> never be so... unless you prove otherwise.

Note that I never asserted that GIMP is a recursive algorithm, and
agree with you that anyone who believes that is incorrect.  I merely
pointed out that by an alternative definition of recursive acronym it
could be considered so and provided a vaguely believable definition to
that end.  An entirely pointless thing to do I know, merely intended
as a way to keep the brain cells active.  The whole point of a
recursive acronym is after all that it is a light hearted play on
words and letters.  I was merely pressing on along that path.  I don't
think that the concept of Recursive Acronyms was ever supposed to be
taken seriously.

Colin