[ubuntu-uk] 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Wed Aug 18 00:05:06 BST 2010

On 17/08/10 22:11, Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:

> I suppose it comes down to your market. Thinking about it, mobile
> phones are consumer items. It's a Nokia or a Samsung, not a Symbian or
> Brew or Android or Windows Mobile. Or is it? They are definitely
> promoting Android phones (I probably don't need to talk about iPhone
> here), but then the version numbers are nice and low. Android 2.
> iPhone (iOS) 4. Perhaps the key point is these companies (Google and
> Apple) already have mindshare and each version has definite, obvious
> improvements over the last. Linux generally has incremental
> improvements, so there's not an obvious "wow" moment (just look at the
> development of Aqua and Aero and compare to GNOME). Anyone I've shown
> Ubuntu to likes Compiz, not the OS, but this is not what is marketed

well depends how often you like your releases. If you go for daily
updates of the development version of Ubuntu then you will see
incremental improvements (and breakages) if you go for the stable final
releases then you see bigger jumps, if you go from LTS to LTS then you
see really quite big changes. The thing is you can dip in as often as
you like, and you don't need to re-purchase it to do so.
> and certainly not why most of *us* use Linux. The interface also stays
> the same for the vast majority of users after an upgrade - no new
> theme, no new effects, just the same as before. Maybe we need a hint
> after an upgrade: "New themes are available! Would you like to view
> them?", taking them to Appearance.

and the window buttons never moved . . .
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/look-back-at-ubuntu-and-its-default.html
> I think this goes back to a discussion from a while back to do with
> marketing to a specific target audience (business, school, home). Each
> want different things - but until we start to think of it in that way,
> and identify the market for Ubuntu, it won't see a great deal more

take a look at http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ and how the
communication guidelines change depending on the target audience identified