[ubuntu-uk] Shredding HDD data

Bill Cumming bill at s0l.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 11:12:57 BST 2010

Best way is probavly just to use the "dd" command:
If you run off of a live CD then just point "dd" to the drive instead of a
file.

Example: sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

That will overwrite the entire drive that's on /dev/sda with random data
destroying any Filesystem on that drive.

You should at least do multiple alternating runs of "/dev/zero" (quick) and
"/dev/urandom" (slow)

But it's going to be *VERY* slow but worth it to be secure.

That's just my way of shredding a drive, others will have other ideas ^_^

On 11 August 2010 11:05, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> On 11 August 2010 11:01, Byte Soup <bytesoup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > One of my family wants to shred some HDDs before discarding them, or
> giving
> > them away on freecycle. What application would you all recommend to do
> this?
> > I have used "shred" to remove files, but I dont think it can do an entire
> > disc (i.e. some previously deleted files)
> >

> DBAN - Darik's Boot and Nuke.
>
> http://www.dban.org/
>
> Just be sure you only have the disk you want to fry plugged in when
> you run it, and not a disk containing your lovingly curated collection
> of pony pictures.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Regards